Tuesday, November 16, 2004

No OS X Ink Support Over VNC

Well it seemed like a good idea at the time, but it looks like there's no way to use OS X's Ink Services when I connect to my Mac from my tablet using vnc.

I got the canonical answer from a friend of mine who works at Apple and who forwarded my question to some of the Panther engineers. Here's the bottom line, straight from the horse's mouth:

In Panther and later, Ink supports tablet-like devices supported by the system's IOHID driver (such as the small MacAlly tablet), along with Wacom tablets. Ink won't work with devices across VNC for two reasons: 1) VNC would need to generate tablet events, and 2) I'm sure the throughput on this connection would lead to pretty poor recognition results.
So much for that idea. But I will continue to use my tablet as a thin client for controlling my Mac, at least until someone writes a Windows RSS reader as good as the Mac-only NetNewsWire.