Friday, November 12, 2004

Mac OS X on Tablet PC

This morning I got up at 5:30 with one thing on my mind: firing up a VNC client on my tablet and connecting to my PowerMac to see how OS X looks and feels on my M1300. Scary, but true.

Turns out X is a great tablet UI! I was able to customize the toolbar of my favorite RSS reader (NetNewsWire) to have "Next Unread" and "Mark All as Read" buttons in the top-right corner of the window, making for a great pen interface.

The only thing--and it's a biggie--missing from OS X is ink input. In fact, it's built in, just hiding. It looks like OS X needs to think there's a recognized USB pen input device connected to show me inking options. Is there a way to force this on? I really want to be able to use my PowerMac from around the house using my tablet. I have this very question in to a friend of mine who works at Apple.

And yes, Apple should definitely come out with a tablet. Don't even build in a hard drive- just use a 2GB or 4GB CompactFlash card, and let people attach an iPod if they really need more storage. It's a cool form factor!