Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Hardtop Keyboard Experiences

I've been trying out the Motion Hardtop Keyboard, and have found a couple of non-obvious benefits. But first, a one-sentence review: Yes, it's a cramped layout and touch-typing will take some practice, but the key-feel is great, much better than I would have expected. With that out of the way, here are the two surprise benefits.

First, a tablet with the hardtop keyboard attached takes up a lot less room than a laptop, and is therefore much more coach-class friendly. Anyone who has tried to use a laptop on an airline with restricted seat pitch knows the problem. You open your laptop to the degree that you can read the screen, and then live in fear of the guy in front of you suddenly reclining, crushing your $2,000 machine. I've seen it happen with a sickening crunch. Not pretty. The tablet/hardtop combination fits into a much smaller space, eliminating this problem.

Second, the hardtop keyboard makes for a very stable stand. I've started using it for occasions where I don't even need a keyboard, I just want the display held upright—like when I'm watching DVD's. Which reminds me, there's a much better way to watch movies on your tablet than slipping in a DVD. But that's the subject of another post.